Job Title: Research Assistant
Position Type: Full-Time or Part Time
Application Deadline: 5 January 2024
The Middle East Research Institute is seeking a motivated Research Assistant to join our team of active researchers and play a pivotal role in conducting research on topics related to conflict, peace and minority rights.
Research and Data Collection
- Conduct literature reviews, gather relevant research materials, collect and analyse data and assist in the development of research methodologies.
- Maintain and organise a database of research materials, articles, and data.
- Support and participate in on-going research projects and event organisations, including documentation and reporting.
- Contribute to the writing of research reports, policy briefs, and academic papers.
- A Bachelor’s and a Master’s degree a relevant field (e.g., international relations, political science, sociology, or a related discipline).
- Strong interest and track record in the field of conflict dynamics and minority rights issues.
- Excellent research skills, including the ability to independently conduct literature reviews and analyze data.
- Proficiency in research methodologies and data collection techniques.
- Proficiency in English, Arabic and Kurdish languages are essential.
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills in different languages.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis software is advantageous.
Interested candidates should submit the following documents by email
(email@example.com) before the deadline:
- Cover Letter detailing your qualifications and interest in the position
- Copies of academic transcripts (if applicable)
- Writing sample (e.g., research paper or report)
- Reference letters from two professional and/or academic referees
- MERI’s projects involve field research which requires attendance in person. Hence this post is not suitable for distance.
- We are committed to diversity, inclusion and equal opportunity, and encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
MERI is an independent, not-for-profit organisation, focused on policy issues relating to the people, the land and the system of governance in the Middle East in general, and Kurdistan and Iraq in particular. It is based in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Its mission is to contribute to the process of nation building and democratisation in the Middle East via engagement, research, analysis and policy debates.