MERI Forum 2018
Visions for Stabilising the Middle East
22-24, October, 2018.
The 2018 annual MERI Forum follows on from the success of our previous Fora, which brought together decision-makers, academics and opinion-leaders to discuss a range of social, economic, and political issues.
This year we aim to debate and analyse many of the core issues that are affecting the Middle East today, particularly in Iraq and Kurdistan. Thus, the forum will revolve heavily around themes linked to the ever-changing regional power dynamics, Iraq’s security and political crises and the future governance in the country.
The ultimate objective of the MERI Forum is to promote peace, stability and prosperity in the wider Middle East through dialogue, reconciliation and rule-of-law. MERI believes that this process and culture is pivotal in determining the long-term stability of Iraq and the wider Middle East.
The success of the MERI Forum is largely due to it providing a neutral and independent setting for academics and key political actors to share ideas and debate the issues affecting the Middle East today.
The 2018 MERI Forum will focus on a number of themes, including:
- Institutionalisation and state-building in Iraq and Kurdistan Region.
- Democracy and political reform in Iraq and Kurdistan Region.
- Post-ISIS reconciliation, reconstruction and recovery.
- The Middle East power dynamics: conflict and collaboration.
- EU in the Middle East: responsive state-building to prevent violent extremism.