MERI is now recruiting a Research Fellow with experience in policy research in one or more of the areas covered by the Institute’s five programme Directorates, including:
– International Politics and National Security
– Democracy and Governance
– Economics, Energy and Environment
– Policy and Public Administration
– Community, Civil Society and Cultural Development
Applicants must have a strong academic background and proven experience in their field of study. The RF position will have the opportunity to engage with key stakeholders and policy-makers in Kurdistan Region, Iraq and the wider Middle East while promoting and conducting policy focused research on-the-ground, in the region.
The job holder is responsible for:
- Identifying and establishing policy research projects, while taking the responsibility to lead and manage such projects.
- Producing high quality reports, academic papers and journal articles based on the analysis of data and literature with a clear and engaging writing style.
- Working independently while collaborating with other fellows on a number of research and policy projects simultaneously, as required.
- Managing external relationships with funders and other stakeholders that lead to the submission of funding for proposals.
- Presenting papers based on policy and research work to policy-makers, academics and other audiences including the media.
- Seniority (RF) will be determined by level of experience in policy research, project management, fund raising and publications.
- All contracts will be on a fixed two-year term contract
Candidates are expected to have:
- A postgraduate degree in a relevant topic.
- Fluency in English with excellent writing and communication skills.
- At least one year of professional experience (in research, academia, government, journalism or similar.)
- Experience in project leadership and management, developing project proposals and raising funds.
- Ability to work independently while offering support to other members of the team.
- Proven experience conducting primary research, interacting with government and non-government actors.
- A track record in producing written material for different audiences (academic and policy environment and the general public), including policy reports, research papers and briefs.
- Holding PhD or MPhil in a subject related to the institutes work.
- Work experience within international think tanks or research organisations.
- Experience living and working in the Middle East.
- Experience dealing with a broad network of, donors and funding bodies.
- Command of additional languages (especially fluency in Arabic and Kurdish).
Applicants must submit:
- The Institute’s online application form
- An up-to-date CV
- A covering letter.
Contracts are for 1 year, renewable.
Deadline: 15, November, 2018.
Post holders will be based in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq.