Contract length: 2 years in the first instance
Deadline: , 30 January, 2016.
MERI is now recruiting up to five Research Fellows (RF) or Senior Research Fellows (SRF) with experience in policy research in one or more of the areas covered by the Institute’s five programme Directorates, including:
– International Politics and National Security [Codes: RF-J1032; SRF-J1010] – Democracy and Governance [Codes: RF-J1033; SRF-J1014] – Economics, Energy and Environment [Code: RF-J1019; SRF-J1018] – Science, Health, Education and Public Services [Code: RF-J1023; SRF-J1022] – Community, Civil Society and Cultural Development [Code: RF-J1027; SRF-J1026]
Applicants must have a strong academic background and proven experience in their field of study. Both RF and SRF positions will have the opportunity to engage with key stakeholders and policy-makers in Kurdistan Region, Iraq and the wider Middle East while promoting and conducting policy focused research on-the-ground, in the region.
The job holder is responsible for:
- Identifying and establishing policy research projects, while taking the responsibility to lead and manage such projects.
- Producing high quality reports, academic papers and journal articles based on the analysis of data and literature with a clear and engaging writing style.
- Working independently and autonomously on a number of research and policy projects simultaneously, as required.
- Managing external relationships with funders and other stakeholders that lead to the submission of funding for proposals.
- Presenting papers based on policy and research work to policy-makers, academics and other audiences including the media.
- Seniority (RF vs SRF) will be determined by level of experience in policy research, project management, fund raising and publications.
- All contracts will be on a fixed two-year term contract
Candidates are expected to have:
- A postgraduate degree in a relevant topic.
- Fluency in English with excellent writing and communication skills.
- At least 3 years of professional experience (in research, academia, government, journalism or similar.)
- Experience in project leadership and management, developing project proposals and raising funds.
- Ability to work independently while offering support to other members of the team.
- Proven experience conducting primary research, interacting with government and non-government actors.
- A track record in producing written material for different audiences (academic and policy environment and the general public), including policy reports, research papers and briefs.
- Holding PhD or MPhil in a subject related to the institutes work.
- Work experience within international think tanks or research organisations.
- Experience living and working in the Middle East.
- Experience dealing with a broad network of, donors and funding bodies.
- Command of additional languages (especially fluency in Arabic and Kurdish).
Seniority (RF or SRF) will be determined by the candidate’s level of experience in policy research, project management, fund raising and high impact publications.
Applicants must submit:
- The Institute’s online application form
- An up-to-date CV
- A covering letter.
Contracts are for 2 years, renewable.
Post holders will be based in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
Closing date: 30 January, 2016